Saturday, July 19, 2008

"this is the world we live in"

When I entered the light in the hallway, Jack was gone. And I was no longer being propelled along by my own locomotion. Instead the walls, shadows, and soon everything from houses and trees began to just slip by me, like I was encapsulated by a bubble of soap, just easing its way through existence. And then I saw the giant Phil Collins puppet-head nodding in time to "Land of Confusion" while a chorus of bunny rabbits sang and clapped along. I was surprisingly calm about the whole thing.

Now sinking, my mind was glad to see Phil Collins' grinning mug disappear somewhere above me in what should have been the living room of Lilly's house. But then what were all the trees and other houses doing there? Ah, details... I settled again and now found myself not below ground but rather standing upon a cliff. It was evening and stars glittered above. Directly beneath and in front of me, there was an abyss of shadows. Yet I felt a presence there, a large presence. I kept looking deeper and the hairs on the back of my neck began to stand on end. Awareness began to bloom in the way that urgently whispers "I'm not alone in the house!" And then I saw movement. Shadow upon shadow. And then two orange-red eyes each the size of a man flicked open and peered back up towards me. With a start I stumbled back from the edge and wheeled around. And stopped again. Hovering about ten feet away at about chest level was a cartoonishly oversized mosquito. A red mosquito.

We looked at each other. Well, at least I looked at it. Strangely I could not find its eyes, despite its grapefruit scale. But I could feel these eyes I could not see. I felt no malice or outright evilness from the bizarre bloodsucker. But I wouldn't trust it to date my sister, either. Just when I was starting to find the little guy with his rust-colored wings and gently bobbing demeanor slightly amusing, it began to speak to me. Naturally, I heard or maybe even felt the words in my head as opposed to with my ears. This was a giant red mosquito on a cliff with shadow-inhabiting creatures with glowing eyes below it. One would expect such an insect to do its speaking telepathically, right?

"That's my dragon." I assumed it meant the thing with the glowing eyes that I could just then hear rumbling and munching on things down in the darkness.
"Okay..."
"You cannot have him."
"Okay..."
"You weren't meant to survive this. But things have changed. Thank your friends. Or your God. Now it can just be considered a warning. Heed it well."
"Okay..."
"We have things to see...and to discuss..."
"Okay..."

No comments: