Friday, July 11, 2008

Temper, Temper

Monica returned McCready's gaze with one of those condescending head shakes that some women are particularly good at. For all her insecurities, she could also be quite confident and self-assured. The two of them glared at each other for a few more moments. McCready's face began to transform into one of his many smiles. This time perhaps more of a playful smirk.

"Well, let's not wallow in our situation any longer. There might be other dangers lurking around here. And I just don't know if I can manage to keep them all at bay. I wouldn't want to see any of those pretty auburn curls harmed. I might lose some sleep over it." McCready's eyes sparkled and Monica stewed.

"Did you two used to date or something?" I chimed in. They instantly turned to me. McCready seemed a bit perplexed, but Monica rolled her eyes and gave another patented head shake, this time aimed at me.
"I'm sorry, I don't even know what I'm saying. I'm drunk. Wait. How am I drunk? What am I doing here? I've never had a such a realistic dream. This is great. Hey! Can I fly? I want to fly! I love dreams where you can fly!" I think I may have continued to babble on, but the others stopped listening when a tire-sized glowing orb hovered over to us and the scattered bodies of the guards. It seemed to assess the situation as a pale cream color shimmered within its glassy frame. Like icicles swimming in a vat of partially melted vanilla ice cream. Minus the vanilla beans. McCready looked at Monica and Orestes and gave a shrugging gesture with his arms. After a moment the orb hovered away, back into a nearby open door.

"Now what?" asked Monica. McCready began to walk towards the open door, but stopped when a large man built like an NFL strong safety stepped through. He wore a white doctor's coat, tight over his athletic build. He looked fairly young for a doctor, perhaps in his late 20s. His hair was nearly shaved and his eyes displayed a distinct wisdom and knowledge of many things. He never even glanced at the dead guards or the mess left by those who had fled. Instead he focused on each of us in turn, and then repeated the process. At some point I stopped my rambling and just looked back at him. I could have sworn I felt a rush in my head when he focused on me. And then I began coughing and laughing again.

"Good to see you, Jack. When you don't want to be found, you really don't want to be found." said McCready putting his hands on his hips, not all that far away from his guns.
"Hi, Jack." Monica added in a tired voice. Tommy Jack glanced at McCready before nodding his head towards Monica.
"Hello, Monica. It has been too long. I hope you are well."
"Ah, well, you know how it goes, 'the best laid plans,'" Jack gave her a knowing but compassionate smile and turned back to McCready. The evil cowboy from my dreams now leaned on his left hip and casually picked at one of his fingernails. Jack continued to address Monica.
"I never thought I'd find you in the company of McCready...at least not willingly. But then one night I dreamed of such things. Many things I never thought possible were suddenly becoming true. But it will take a lot more for me to believe in a redeemed McCready. A redeemed Blackheart, the Smiling Demon..." McCready had been biting his bottom lip and now suddenly drew his right-hand revolver and brought the barrel inches from Jack's forehead.
"Redeemed? You want to see redeeemed? I'll give you redemption! We'll all be able to see it right through the back of your head!" Jack never flinched. He cool gaze never wavered. Monica looked very alarmed and frantic again. Orestes was a dark blur above and beside me. I just coughed and laughed harder.

No comments: