Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hard to Imagine (A conversation with McCready)

[this is a break from the story already in progress...which kinda ran out of steam...it does go somewhere though...i promise]

"I'd tell a story but no one'd listen that long"

It is now months later since the rambling, barely adequate narrative you've been reading. I could briefly explain how it turns out and what happened afterwards, but that would spoil things. I will say that following that incident McCready began appearing to me (and unfortunately, ONLY me) right here in the waking world. Strange things occurred in the months since then. Massive and spine-disintegrating truths were revealed. Betrayals. Heartbreak. Worlds colliding. And somehow McCready wound up stuck inside my head with me. And not by choice. Yes, not by choice. How do we explain that one to them, McCready? You don't. Let them stumble around in the dark, I don't have the patience to explain things to children. Unless you think I look like a schoolteacher? Yeah, you could teach school. You could teach 5th grade and Hitler could have the kindergarten. I really feel like I should have met this Hitler before...maybe I have. Stop it, you're going to scare everybody away. Screw them. Okay, moving on...

McCready, for reasons we won't get into right now, lost his ability to frolic in our world in a physical sense. We're working on getting him his own place. Hey, maybe on the bad part of town - near a strip club, right McCready? No, how about near a nursery school. Or an animal shelter. Thankfully I can still see when you're smiling even inside my head, so I know you're just joking. I wasn't joking about the animal shelter.

Alright, McCready - where should I begin? What should I tell them? Everything?
Do you really need to tell anybody anything?
You know I do.
Well, then maybe you should leave out all the crap about Lilly because I also know you're going to want to babble on about that for 800 pages and I think I'll just start puking now and get it over with if that's going to be the case!
Would you feel better if I drank something?
Couldn't hurt.

No comments: